Would you like to translate this into another language?

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Morgan's Funeral - Stake President's Message

The following is courtesy of Jennifer, a friend of the Eggleston's, who was at the funeral service for Victory Morgan yesterday.  I was overjoyed when I found her last night.  I know that many of us who know the Eggleston's would have loved to have been at the service, so I felt that when I found her, I'd found a real treasure.  I want to thank her for granting me permission to share the proceedings.

I also need to explain for anyone who's been following Morgan's family's ordeal that we are L.D.S.  In other words, we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  In some instances, we have our own vocabulary, so as much as possible, I will try to define just what is meant as we run across these terms in these next few posts.

First, what follows is the message from the Stake President.  A "Stake" is simply a very large congregation determined by geographical area.  A stake is made up of smaller congregations called "wards."  Each ward has its own name, so does each stake.  Each ward has a bishop who leads it, and each stake has a stake president who oversees all the bishops and thus all the wards.


The Stake President had this to say at the service....

"Children are an important part to how we receive joy. The power of the atonement is what allows us to convert sorrow and grief and transform it into joy. It’s difficult to understand at this time, but in Doctrine & Covenants 101:36 it says - 'Wherefore fear not even unto death for in this world your joy is not full, but in me, your joy is full.' Today we’re here to mourn with those that mourn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort. That’s why we’re here, to do what we can to help and to tell this family that we love them. However we could be here mourning for joy lost, as Morgan is no longer with us. But because of our knowledge of the gospel and the atonement, and the plan of salvation, I submit to you that we are here to mourn for joy postponed. That is a promise from our father in heaven, that joy will be returned."


If, while you read any of these posts, you're curious about what we believe, you can go here.

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...