Would you like to translate this into another language?

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012: The Year of the Upward Spiral

I've gone into new years with resolutions but never a theme.  2012 is the beginning of something new!

After writing this post, the concepts haven't left my mind.

I wrote it on the weekend when the Warden and I ran away for an overnight.  We went to dinner that night and sat in a restaurant whose front window looked out at an establishment that boasted an "all-nude revue."  My thoughts as I looked at it, "How does someone spiral to that point?"

The next morning, we caught the train to head back home and saw a homeless man digging quarters out of the ticket machine.  Again, the thought, "When and how did his spiral begin?"

These things have come back home to me....Am I spiraling?  If so, in what ways?

Spiraling, like erosion, just happens.  It's just like nature--all things deteriorate.  The only way to stop the deterioration, the erosion, is to actively do something that counteracts it.  It's time to stop being passive.  To do nothing will only result in continued downward spiraling.

So, for 2012, I have some goals that need setting.

I'm turning to the ideas of Thomas S. Monson.  He shared the ideas of searching inward, reaching outward and looking upward (although, he said "heavenward," I'm using "upward" to match the idea of the upward spiral).  Another thing he shared were the ABCs of an abundant life:

A:  Attitude
B:  Belief
C:  Courage

As I look forward to 2012, there is no doubt that these things will come into play.  Monson encourages us to have a positive attitude; a belief in ourselves, others and God; and courage to do what we need to do and particularly the courage to try again if we fail the first time.

One of the first things that will come up in 2012 will be the American Mothers Gala in February in which they name the Mother of the Year for 2012.  I don't mind saying I'm a bit freaked out by this.  It will definitely take all three of these things to continue on the path I'm currently taking.

Graduation will come next.

After that will come #1's graduation and getting ready to send her off to school.

Yes, 2012 holds a lot of things that will be new, different, challenging and exciting.  In order to be successful, I know I'm going to need these principles. 

2012 - The Year of the Upward Spiral 

I hope you'll join me and search inward for those things that need to be changed; reach outward to others who need us; look upward to God for the help we need as we work to keep a positive attitude about everything that happens (trying to see the bigger picture); believe in ourselves, others and God; and have courage to face whatever lies ahead.

Here's to a WONDERFUL 2012!  Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...