Would you like to translate this into another language?

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Commandment #8: Don't Complain; Do Something

Not sure I really need to write much about this one. It's pretty self-explanatory.

When I remember that I'm not really the one in charge here, it helps me to just keep trudging without complaining. I have to continually remind myself that after something bad happens, if I work to be obedient to God, something equally good follows. At least this has been the rule thus far in my life.

There are two scriptures that I've read recently that have added to my feelings on this subject:

1 Nephi 2:12
"And thus Laman and Lemuel, being the eldest, did murmur against their father. And they did murmur because they knew not the dealings of that God who had created them."

So, if I'm reading this correctly, if I can remember how God deals with His children, I will have the correct perspective and there will be no need to complain. It kind of goes along with Commandment #7. If I'm trusting Him, I won't complain because my priorities will be right, and I will remember that He's in control and that He's looking out for my best interest even if it's painful. The pain will make me stronger.

I think when my purse got stolen, there was peace because I remembered that God was aware of me. The deputy that helped us out that day called later that evening. I shared a few more details with her, and she said something that I thought was very kind, "Well, you guys have such a great attitude about this."

Although something bad had just happened, we were still standing there joking with her and having a good time. I'm sure she doesn't get that very often in her line of work. Of course, I wasn't completely my usual happy self, I was feeling the burden of it for sure, but I tried to keep my chin up even though my stomach was in complete knots. Giving the deputy a hard time when things weren't her fault would have been so useless. We just knew no matter what happened, that we'd all be okay. We had what was most important--our family was safe. The stuff can all just fade away that's perfectly okay. What good would complaining have done for us?

The other scripture is 1 Nephi 3:6:

"Therefore go, my son, and thou shalt be favored of the Lord, because thou hast not murmured."

If you're not familiar with the Book of Mormon, this scripture is about a man named Nephi. He was such a great man. He had brothers who were continually complaining. Nephi is a wonderful example of someone who has faith and is proactive. He doesn't waste time standing around complaining, he gets with it, prays about things and moves forward in the direction he feels God wants him to go.

This is how I want to be. I think being known as someone who is "favored of the Lord" would be pretty darned sweet.

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...