Would you like to translate this into another language?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Behavior Cycles

I paid very close attention to what I fed my children today, especially that one child. No sugar except for 3 grams in a spoonful of peanut butter and some natural sugar in blueberries and pineapple.

By following the Warden's plan--the "carry card"--it seems that I might not be imagining things. The behaviors start at about 10:30am and again at about 3:30pm. If my friend is right on her hunch about blood sugar, then wouldn't this make sense? I don't know much about insulin and things like that having never dealt with that before, but for those of you who have had experience with this, does it make sense? Could we possibly be dealing with a low or high blood sugar kind of thing here?

When the 3:30 time came around, and the wind up began, I offered a string cheese to the child. Within 20 minutes to half an hour, things were calm again.

I called and made an appointment with the pediatrician for Monday. When I spoke with her assistant, she asked me if it was because the child wasn't getting his/her way. I told her no. It just starts randomly. We'll all be sitting there doing nothing different and it will start up with really mean words and just escalates from there.

I would really love this to have some kind of physiological trigger that we can regulate with diet or something. I would love that it doesn't end up that my child is just a royal jerk. I know that's not the case.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end.

3 comments:

Jef said...

Julie,

A friend of ours here in Brookings had a son who kept getting angry or mean to his siblings at random times, for no reason and was normally a sweet child. They had him tested and found out he's diabetic.

I can tell you though, I've been off of sugar since August of 2011, and feel better, my moods are much more level (especially when I don't eat simple carbs), and I've lost 90 pounds.

Hopefully it's not diabetes, but it is something to pay attention to.

Janiece said...

I do not know anything about that kind of stuff, but I do know that food alergies can truly effect behavior. I have seen it with my little nephew, who has some form of autisum... when his older brother was diagnosed with celiac's, my sister soon had most of her family on a gluten free diet. The one I have seen the bigest change in is not the nephew with celiac, but my nephew with autism. Amazing how much calmer and more focused he is. Keep us posted on what they find.

Lia London, author said...

It's totally true that some kids are WAY more sensitive to sugars than others. With my daughter, just a little sugar gets her majorly hyped up and out of control, and something like string cheese or milk cuts it back down again. Hope you can get it all figured out.

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...