Would you like to translate this into another language?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Madhouse Munchings: THE Bread Recipe

When I started making bread a week or so ago, I didn't realize that it would turn into a daily event at our house.  Each member of the family loves walking in to the smell of fresh baked bread.  It's LOVELY!


So, I use this recipe, but here's an easier version for you.  If you're a novice at making bread, like I was, you may want to use the original site.  If you are a little more confident, here's a more consolidated list of instructions (or as we say at our house... "destructions").....

In a large bowl, pour one package of yeast for every loaf of bread you want to make (right now, I'm up to four) and 1 cup of warm water (not too hot) for each loaf too.  Stir until the yeast is fully dissolved.

Here's the rest of the instructions for one loaf of bread but triple, quadruple, whatever for however many loaves you want to make:

Stir in:
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 C. milk
2 1/2 C. whole wheat flour

Slowly add (about 1/4 C. at a time):
2 1/2 C. white flour

I usually add 2 cups and use the last half cup to dust the dough as I knead it.

Pour the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it for 10 minutes.  This is my favorite part.  Such a great aggression release.

Spray the bowl with non-stick cooking spray, put the ball of dough back into the bowl, cover it loosely with plastic wrap and let it sit in a draft-free place (I put mine into an unheated oven or the microwave--not turned on, of course) for 1 hour.  The dough will double in size.

After the hour, take the bowl out and punch the dough down.  Lay it out on the floured surface again.  If you're making multiple loaves, cut the dough into however many loaves you're doing.

Roll the dough out so it's as wide as the bread pan, but longer than the pan.  Roll it up and fold the ends under.  Place it in a greased bread pan, cover it lightly again and place it back in the non-drafty place (if your place is the oven, don't pre-heat the oven until the bread is out--I probably didn't need to say that, but...just in case).  Let it sit for another hour.

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and bake the bread for 30 minutes.  You know it's done if you tap on the top and it sounds hollow.

I spread butter over the top crust just to make it softer and give it a little flavor then I tip it out immediately onto a wire rack to cool.

I'm sure this dough could be used for all kinds of yummy things--scones, cinnamon rolls, monkey bread, etc., so have fun experimenting.  You can also tweak the amounts and kinds of flours you use.  The original recipe just called for white flour, but I was striving for something just a bit healthier.

This bread also makes FANTASTIC toast.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Patrick and Paige said...

YUM!!!!!! THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

LeAnn said...

I can almost smell fresh bread from here. Maybe I will get back to doing this again; my husband would love it.
Blessings to you for the post reminder and the recipe.

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...