Would you like to translate this into another language?

Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

On Facebook this morning, a cousin reminded me (and the rest of her FB friends) that today is Good Friday.

I don't celebrate "Good Friday" and to be honest, don't really know what that means, but I'm pretty sure it's the Friday before Easter and has something to do with Christ's death and His body being placed in the tomb.  Am I close?  Maybe I should research things before I blog about them, huh?

As I read her reminder today, I was astounded by the fact that I am reading the PERFECT chapter for this season--the season of Easter--the time of the resurrection and Atonement of Jesus Christ.

When I was a missionary, Ed J. Pinegar was the President of the Missionary Training Center (MTC).  Each day, his voice would come over the P.A., and he'd give us missionaries a little mini-devotional.  I loved hearing his fatherly voice.  It was so wonderful to hear his uplifting messages.  One thing I remember particularly, because I wanted to do it and be touched by it like he said I would, was to spend an entire week just reading and pondering 2 Nephi 9.

I tried it.  I really did, but I didn't get it any more than I had in the past.

This is where I've found myself for the past three days.  Yesterday I got up to verse 20, and today I progressed an entire five verses in a half hour.  Tomorrow I will start on verse 26.  I didn't go into this chapter consciously thinking I would follow President Pinegar's admonition.  As I progressed so slowly through the meat of this chapter, I looked to see just what chapter I was studying; it was only then that it dawned on me that it was that chapter.

Here I am, more than twenty years later, finally getting what President Pinegar meant.  Some of us are a bit remedial.

This chapter is steeped in the Easter message and what it means to us individually--not just to those of us who are baptized members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but to us as members of the human race--as God's children.

Today, as I finished verse 25, I concluded that this life is all about only one choice.  One!  My notes now read:  "The Atonement: take it or leave it."

Take a minute and read 2 Nephi 9.  It puts the entire issue in black and white.  Wonderful!  While you're at it, take a look at Mosiah 3:19, which I have referred to a number of times while reading these past couple days.  It especially ties in with 2 Nephi 9:19 (it defines what a saint is and therefore, defines what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints means--just in case you were wondering).

Happy Easter!  He is risen...that we may too.

2 comments:

jodimf said...

HE IS RISEN INDEED:) I also think about you around Lent because how many years did you ask me what Lent was all about?? Love you and Happy Easter

Alyson said...

Did you know Pres. Pinegar is now the Manti Temple president? I get to see him again! And we're such a tiny little temple district, he often comes to speak at Stake Conferences and such. Every time I go up to him and Sister Pat and I gush, "I'm one of your missionaries! I love you guys!" And every time they each take me in their arms and hug me and tell me they love me too.

The week from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday is my favorite week of the whole year. No matter which scripture we're studying as a family that year, we set it aside for one week and dig in to the New Testament and read everything we can about the last week of Christ's earthly ministry. There aren't any bunnies or eggs or baskets here, never have been. (My poor kids have a hard time explaining that.) But we all love this week, and we have pictures from the Gospel Art Kit all over our living room all week long.

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...