Would you like to translate this into another language?

Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Interview

Someone inquired as to how the interview went on Saturday. I'm really not sure how much I should reveal on this topic, but I've decided I'm just going to let it all hang out like I usually try to do.

The Mother of the Year interview was actually really fun. I enjoyed the people I interviewed with. There were three of them, and I was already acquainted with two of the three. The third guy I liked from the moment I met him, so it was just like sitting there answering questions. Each asked me two questions and then I was allowed one minute to sum up my feelings on whatever I wanted to. 

Here's where the honesty comes in.  Please don't think I'm talking myself down because this is just me being honest.  I'm a good mom, but when it comes to this competition, I'm completely out of my league. You recall that I was nominated for Young Mother. Well, becoming a nominee for Mother is a different ballgame in a few ways.  One in particular is that you have to prove that you are helping your children succeed as they become adults and go out on their own. I don't have this factor in my life. I can't prove something I'm not doing yet. Not only that, but as far as motherhood goes, compared to these amazing four women, I'm a newcomer to motherhood.  I think most of them have been a mother for at least ten years longer than I have.

I have a hunch who's going to win, or at least who'd get my vote.  Of the women that I know (of the four) they are all FABULOUS, and I'd love to follow them each around just for one day to learn from their experiences and what they do on a daily basis.  I'm thrilled to get to rub shoulders with women such as these.

So, as I drove out to the interview, I was completely relaxed.  It was a nice place to be.  I think if I'd really thought I had a chance, I'd have been nervous as all get out. The Warden asked me if I didn't think I could win why was I going? I figure everything's good experience, and what do I have to lose, really? It's all been a very fun and educational ride.

I plan to continue participating in the activities and meetings of American Mothers, Inc. It's a great group, and I think if you haven't, you should check it out.

The Gala is the 17th.  I'm jazzed to wear my new dress, shoes, earrings and necklace and have a reason to dress up and celebrate motherhood. It will be good to be with my dad and his wife, my parents-by-marriage and others. I love that there is absolutely no pressure. I'm going to go and enjoy myself.

When the Gala is over, I wonder what life will bring next. School's out and the Mother of the Year stuff will be past. I'm looking forward to whatever lies ahead.

Life is good!

1 comment:

Grace said...

i think i told you that i belonged to young mothers a one time in my life...it's a great group. life got kind of crazy though and i didn't follow through and join mother's of oregon.
i am glad there are groups like this that show support to Moms. so good!

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...