Would you like to translate this into another language?

Friday, February 3, 2012

Cleaning the Bathrooms

A Facebook friend asked when and how I get my kids to clean the bathroom. I answered there, but I thought this might be a good place to put such information too.

I used to call all the kids into the bathroom and let them each choose a job--mirror, toilet, tub, counters/sink, refill soap/toilet paper storage, floor, garbage, walls, etc. The energy from all the little bustling bodies was contagious.

With the little ones, whatever their job was, for the first number of times through, I would stand and supervise--giving verbal instructions. Before this time, they watched others do the job, so it wasn't a foreign concept. After they've got a pretty good grasp on it, I would just stand and watch only helping with verbal instructions if really needed.

It really depended on the child how early I started them. I think #7, at 2 1/2 can handle some of the jobs--mirror, walls, toilet paper. Others of my children I didn't start this young, though--maturity and communication level has a lot to do with it. #7's at the point where she's eager to help; though, I would definitely watch everything she does. I think the time to start is when they want to be in the middle of everything.

The older kids use other cleansers, but for the little ones, I'm a white vinegar person.

Definitely start young. Strike while the iron's hot.

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...