Would you like to translate this into another language?

Friday, February 24, 2012

Can I Just Get This Off My Chest?

We only subscribe to the local paper because of the coupons.  Really!

At one point, many years ago, the Warden was quoted in the paper twice in one week.  Both times he was misquoted.  It was at that point that I decided that the paper wasn't for me.  When they used to call and ask if I want to subscribe (pre-coupons), I would explain why, and they'd say, "Okay, thank you."  I mean, really, what could they say to that?

Well, yesterday I was successful at contacting them to put the Mother of the Year info in the paper.  I sent them information but never heard back about if they'd received it, so I followed up today.  Yes, they had received it.  They sent it on to the editor of the "Mom blog."  Huh?!  I didn't even know they had a "Mom blog."  Sure enough, they do.  But, I can promise you that was a big let down.  Don't get me wrong, blogs are life, aren't they, but if I'm going to go to my local paper's website, it's not going to be to read their blog.

Being the stubborn person I am, I decided that wasn't where I wanted it to end, so I contacted the original guy I had spoken with yesterday.  I explained that in the past it was a tradition to put such information as a write up in the actual paper, and how could we make that happen.

His response....you're not going to believe this....

I'm not quoting here, but it was basically, "I've been here for four years, and I've never heard of you until yesterday."  Huh?!  What?  I would think that someone who works for a newspaper would be the last individual to live under a rock, but never heard of the Mother of the Year?!  For real?  Are you pulling my leg?

I decided at that point that I was definitely talking to the wrong guy, and if I let slip what I really wanted to say, we wouldn't even be making the Mom blog, so I thought I'd better just say "thank you" and move along.

I'll be taking another route as of Monday, and guess what....I think I've decided that maybe the coupons aren't even worth it.

3 comments:

Janiece said...

WOW...got to love the papers.
We just let our subscription expire.
Nope the coupons are not worth it.
And the news paper industry doesn't know why their business is going the way of the dinosaur...I am thinking it is because they don't care and it takes work to know what is going on around your community.
By the way, CONGRATS!!!

Josh Alder said...

Julie - As a journalism school grad, a former newspaper editor and a public relations rep, my suggestion to you is to write and send a press release. Newspapers today are incredibly streamlined and often staffed with underpaid employees who have no real motivation to help anyone. Sending a press release is a way to get directly to the editors who decide what gets printed.

If you don't have a PR rep in your organization, I'd be happy to help you draft a press release. There's a bit of a science to it and I write them all the time.

Lia London, author said...

Sounds like it's time to start a Letter-to-the-Editor campaign. Get a bunch of people to write to the editor about the importance of promoting things like AMI. Even if they don't print them all, they will suddenly have someone on staff who has heard of Mother of the Year!

What do you think?

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...