Would you like to translate this into another language?

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Making the Most of Moments




I watched this for the first time the other night. Wow! Yet another rung on my ladder.

I am astonished at the messages that have come my way lately. I guess it's the way they've been introduced to me that have been so interesting and made them stand out as vitally important.

image: nicolehumphrey.net
There's a company that I work for that I absolutely love. I mean, I love the work. It's right up my alley, and I look forward to hearing from them. Since I freelance, things aren't consistent, they just come when they're needed, and that's perfect for my life right now.

It's been about a month or so since I've heard from them, but I received a phone call earlier this week saying there was work to be done and could it be done quickly. Perfect! I was on it.

I went to the computer and pulled up the video I was to transcribe. The gentleman being interviewed was no one I knew, and to be honest, when I was done with the video, I still had no idea how he fit into the work I needed to do and the article I needed to write. I knew it was business related, but this interview was so personal and biographical.

I transcribed, hoping that eventually there would be something to work with, but as it neared a close, I figured out that this video wasn't for business, it was for me. I needed to hear and learn from everything this man said.

image: patheos.com
He talked about "moments" and how important they are. He shared how he's always prepared to help people even to the point of having his car full of items that strangers might need when a car is broken down on the side of the road. He particularly shared how the difficult times in his life were things he cherished because they made him the man he is--compassionate, caring, willing to share all that he has.

It was ironic to me that two days later I was introduced to the video above.

juliashinklephotography.blogspot.com
Sometimes it seems that I try to view the bigger picture without remembering that it's the things I choose today, no matter how small, that will accumulate into that picture of what I want life to be. There are so many to share my moments with that I often get overwhelmed about who to spend this moment or that moment with.

I guess what I'm learning is that no matter who I'm spending my moments with, the focus should be on doing for others--giving my time and effort, that's what matters. As long as I do so, the blessings will come.

image: yoginiology.com
One thing I learned from this interview was from the interviewer. She said, "It's such a blessing to be able to roll out a red carpet for someone else and not expect anything back."I must admit, my red carpets have been rolled up in a closet or two here, collecting dust. It's time to get them out. It's time for a change.

This gentleman in the video mentioned opportunities to serve. One thing I was struck by was in one story he shared, he went to the woman, after he'd helped her, and said, "Thanks for allowing me to serve you." Wow! Because really, service of others, unselfish service--those times when you expect nothing in return--are the times that bring the greatest blessings in your life. It's just true.

image: moreno10sblog.blogspot.com
The other night, we had a ward dinner. There's a new family in our ward. They have a little girl that has just become my buddy. She's five. As I was sitting there, here she came, right behind me. She tapped me on the shoulder and shared little bits of her life with me. We talked about school and the new baby in her home. She walked away and returned a few seconds later. She was eating something chocolate and explained to me that it was a big Tootsie Roll and that she got three of them. I told her how great that was. She then shared that she'd given her Halloween candy away. I said, "Yup. That's how it works. That's Heavenly Father's way of doing things. You give them away, and He gives you back even more."

I didn't realize what had just come out of my mouth. It wasn't for that little girl. It was for me.

image: gettalkedabout.com
Yup. It's the moments that matter. They are the "molecules" of life that "make up eternity." Who are you getting your red carpet out for today? Just don't forget to thank them for allowing you blessings in your life.

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...