Would you like to translate this into another language?

Friday, August 9, 2013

Just Happy

image:
juliashinklephotography.com
My second daughter is turning 16 soon--actually, the first day of school. To avoid the first of school craziness, especially in an educator's family, we decided to have her "sweet 16" party tonight.

She wanted to have a murder mystery party. This is the third one we've done. My favorite, by far, was the one we did a couple years ago for our son. There were all kinds of extra activities you could do. One of the things the kids did was make up a rap. It was just so entertaining. I wish I could remember the company that produced that party. I'd buy from them again.




image: oregon.gov
This morning, before we went and prepared the last of the things for the party, #3 and I ran out to the DMV to get her permit. She was successful. While we were there, we ran into one of her good buddies from EFY who was also getting his permit. It was fun to sit and talk to his mom. It's funny how some people you can meet and feel like you could just sit and talk for hours? Well, that's how this was.

After we finished at the DMV, we ran to the mall to return a pair of jeans #3 had purchased. It was so fun being with #3. We went and got the food for the party and returned home.

image: photos.oregonlive.com
The Warden took the younger kids to dinner and to the park with the fountain. #5 stayed and played "servant boy" for the party. He did a nice job serving everyone.

Tomorrow night, my brother and his family fly into town. I'm so excited to see them and to get to spend some time with them.


So, here's tonight's list of things I'm grateful for:


  1. My kids' friends. They really do pick great people to hang out with. With some of my kids, I marvel at just how perfect their friends are for them--almost like they're hand-picked.
  2. The ability to drive and to have other drivers in our home. As I've been walking more and more
    in preparation for the race coming up, I'm learning how much I value my car. I drove #1's car with the top off this evening to take one of the girls home from the party. The sky was super gray, and I was pretty sure I was going to get a bit wet. Sure enough....just after I dropped her off, it started. It was funny, though, as I drove I didn't get wet at all. When I'd have to stop for a light, I'd feel a few drops on my forehead. I just tilted my head back and enjoyed the rain--just like a born and raised Oregon girl, I guess.
  3. My supportive husband. #3 and I were able to clean the house without little ones running around. It was great. I love that he will step up and do whatever's necessary to help all of the rest of us in our home be successful. What a great man!

Tonight, I'm wanting to write to #1 and tell her all about life. I'm so looking forward to hearing from her Sunday evening. I had a chance to chat with one of her friends who came to the party this evening. Made me not miss her quite as much.

I'm so glad my kids have such good friends, and I love having these people in my home. It was a really fun night.

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...