Would you like to translate this into another language?

Sunday, August 4, 2013

#1's Weekly Email: Week #7 (First in the Field)

Wow! So relieved to hear from #1! As I watched the weather forecasts, etc., I got a bit nervous about her circumstances, but as you will see, all is well.

We were told she would be with a different companion, but it sounds like the one she got is perfect for her--pushing her to be the best she can be. 

I am a bit disheartened that #1 didn't learn the lesson about sleeping as you're flying to a different part of the world, but when she and I flew together, it was nighttime. We had no problem getting into our brains that it was time to sleep. She and her fellow missionaries were flying during the day and it stayed daytime during their entire series of flights, and I'm sure they were very excited, so no wonder they weren't interested in sleeping.

She mentions "white-washing." I believe, as I recall, that this means a set of missionaries, in this case, Elders, moves out and a whole new set, again in this case, Sisters, moves in. So, it sounds like she and her companion are both new to the area and will discover the area together. Typically, one companion will be transferred to a new area and a new one will arrive. This is a completely different case--both move out and a whole new set of missionaries arrives. With the increase of Sister missionaries, with the announcement of the change in the age of missionaries this past October, this is a much more common sight than used to be.





#1 is a very unemotional person. I have only ever seen her cry once in her life. Even as a baby, she cried rarely if ever, so it is interesting to read of her feelings and reaction as she parted with her friends.

Sounds like things are off to a wonderful start. She has promised pictures next week.

Enjoy!












Hello!!!


How is everyone? Happy p-day :) I'm finally here in the Philippines. We're in this little internet cafe thing right now in Iba. 

image: zambales.islandsphilippines.com

I'm serving in Masinloc at the moment. It's my first area. We're in the Santa Cruz zone. 

So. this week has been pretty crazy. Our flight to San Francisco was delayed by an hour, so we didn't get to hang out in California at all. They were very nice and held the plane for us. The flight to Japan was really fun. Elder A., our travel leader, okayed Disney movies so I watched Lion King and Aladdin :) It was so nice to not think for a while. We only got to stay in the Tokyo Narita airport for an hour :/ and it wasn't the one that I thought we were going to stay in... Darn. 

The flight to Manilla was really bumpy cuz we were in the back of the plane. But somehow we all slept through it. That was the only sleep I got the whole time. In Manilla, we stayed in a hotel. We landed in Manilla at 9:30pm, got to our hotel at 10, and then we had to be ready to leave for the mission home at 3:30 in the morning. We slept for about 2 hours in the hotel. 

Needless to say, when I got to the mission home, I was about ready to break down. I was so emotional! I've never been that emotional I think. our mission president and his wife are so nice. Apparently our mission is the strictest in the Philippines so guess what? I'm wearing a dress right now. no jeans :( Saddest thing I've ever heard. I'm gonna forget how to wear them. 

So when it was time to leave and go to our areas and I had to say goodbye to my sisters, I was crying... Not fun. Everyone probably thought I was a big baby.

My kasama is Sister C. She's 4'9"! Ha! And she's never trained a foreigner before. She speaks very goood English, but she's always pushing me to speak Tagalog. Good thing too because I need all the pushing I can get. She's also learning a lot of patience from me.

Our apartment was disgusting when we first got there. We're white washing here, so Elders lived there last. We spent the first night cleaning. Good news though! We have an actual shower. I haven't had to shower out of a bucket :) 

The food here is really good too. Last night we had dinner at our neighbors house. They are the Elbo's, and they are an amazing family. Yes, they are members. Sister Elbo made spaghetti for us! Oh, it was the best spaghetti I've ever eaten. Reminded me of home. 

We've taught a lot of people. They are all so amazing. They live in the most humble circumstances, but they are so happy. They are also really friendly, and they think I look like a life-size Barbie :P

We stay out until 9 at night and by 8 I'm just exhausted. Every single night when we go to teach our last lesson, my eyes won't stay open. There have been a couple of times that I've actually fallen asleep for 30 seconds. It's really bad. 

A jeepney
image: bubblews.com
We've ridden on every single form of transportation that we can. Jeepneys, trikes, and buses. And people always stare at me just cuz I'm so white. It's really funny. 

But I love it here. I really do. I love the people and the culture, and I don't even notice the living conditions anymore. It's just what I'm gonna be in for the next 17 months. 

Sacrament meeting yesterday was fun. It's funny to hear the people try to sing. Yes, they hold sacrament meeting in English, and we sing English hymns. 

My favorite part is when we walk around, and they blast American music. Yesterday, we were walking around, and I heard "What Makes You Beautiful." Oh, it made me so happy :)

Ok i think that's everything. 

I love you guys! Talk to you next week.
-Sister Hess


P.S. We only get mail and Dear Elders every 6 weeks :/ sad day.



Translation:
Kasama = Companion

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...