Would you like to translate this into another language?

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Two Bads, Three Goods

image: mastermewmedia.com
In an attempt to get my children to open up more and to become more involved in my children's lives, I often ask them to share two bad things and three good things that happened during their day. I make sure that the good things outnumber the bad and that we end on the good, so we can leave the conversation with the positive experiences freshest on their minds.

The other day, I thought that maybe, on those days when I really don't have anything too exciting to write about or I don't think I have the energy that I feel I need to write (which seems to be the case more often than I'd like to admit lately), that I should just share my two bads and three goods with you.

So, here are today's bads and goods.


Bad:
image: imageafter.com
  • One of my children is making my life a real struggle. It's actually been going on for quite some time. I am attempting to find the answer to this problem. The thing that I'm learning is that it's up to me. I can do nothing to change this child, but I can alter my actions and responses. That is all, and then hope that the patterns of interaction, on both our parts, will change for the better. We have a downward spiral going on--the bad leads to worse--and I know that it's up to me to be the one that's strong enough to fight the tide and reverse the spiral. This problem now is how?
  • One of my children has a HUGE problem with obedience right now. With the other child's on-going issues, this, I'm finding, must be handled at the same time. TRICKY!

Good:
  • I went to help at a friend's wedding reception this evening. Everything was so beautifully done. I loved that #3 was there working beside me. It was great to be in the company of the wonderful women who were doing all of this work. With the problems going on, as listed in my first "bad" bullet-point, I'm finding that I don't have the energy or desire to be with anyone, so it's been awhile since I've allowed myself to be in this kind of situation. It was very refreshing.
  • Went shopping with #4 to get things he needed for scout camp this coming week. I also purchased some things for Portland-to-Coast.
  • image: amazon.com
  • Took #7 to a toy research study. She watched some things on a computer screen and had to answer some questions. When all was said and done, they sent her home with a big Polly Pocket set. It was so fun to spend time just with her. She suddenly seems so grown up to me.

I'm sorry, but I HAVE to add a fourth good thing. The BEST thing about Saturdays.



We received an email from #1. I posted it here already, but she'll be moving on to the Philippines in two weeks. Very exciting! 

From what I just read this evening, they're starting to send missionaries called to the Philippines (at least some of them) to the MTC in the Philippines. I think that's great, but I have been happy to have #1 in the U.S. for just this little bit longer.

There you have it, the bads and the goods for today. Not too thrilling, but let's face it, that's life.

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...