Would you like to translate this into another language?

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gotta Hold onto the Streak

I knew it was going to be out late last night and that I wouldn't want to write when I got home before I went to bed, so I jotted a little list of my bads and goods while I waited for #s 2 and 3 to get done with EFY.

One of my goods happened after the list was written, so here they are--the goods and bads of July 16th, 2013:


Bads

  • The Oregon Association of American Mothers, Inc. parting with the National Association of American Mothers, Inc. (Please note that what follows is all personal opinion).
I have been a member of this group for the past three-ish years. I believe this is a wonderful, worthwhile organization to be involved in. I will continue to be part of my state group, but I have learned that most of my hang ups about this association have been rooted in the deteriorating national organization. It's been very interesting to watch, as an innocent by-stander, and see an organization switch gears from the things it was originally based on.

It has become clear that the greatest motive for this group is not necessarily to do the right thing for its clientele but to do what the majority wants it to do. They want to be popular. I'm sorry, but the traditional role of mothers will never hold a majority in our society or be very popular; therefore, somebody's got to part ways. In this case, Oregon was the first to step up and walk away. And so one wonders, who will champion the cause of the traditional mother? Not this group anymore, it seems. Sad. So, Oregon will carry itself and continue to stand up for the role of mothers.

The saddest part of this is that it divides us from others who are in other state associations. That has been a wonderful reassurance--to know that there are other mothers in other states who are working toward the same ends.

  • Not getting #1's package sent. 
I woke up early to get kids off to various activities. By the time I was getting kids to EFY, I could feel a headache starting in. By the time I got home to the medicine (I really haven't had many in so long that I don't carry the medicine with me on a regular basis), the headache was full blown.

I pretty much got nothing done. No cookies, no music picked out, nothing in a box. I made the realization later that if I sent it today, it would have to be shipped and wait out the weekend. I don't want the cookies to have to wait that long, so the plan now is to ship one box with the non-perishable items and send the cookies on Monday (unless someone in Provo wants to make them and deliver them. That'd be amazing!).


Goods
  • I got the blanket made.
This is a long story. Whenever someone we know and love has a baby, we make them a blanket. #1 mentioned, in one of her letters, that her MTC teacher's wife had just had their first baby. We decided to make him a blanket and send it to #1 and her MTC bubs so they could gift it to him. It just needs to get into that package and make it there before they leave the MTC. It turns out, and I didn't know this until #1 said it in last Saturday's email, that this will be the last class he will teach at the MTC. Teachers there are given a three year job. His tenure is ending.

  • The Oregon Association of American Mothers, Inc. parting with the National Association of American Mothers, Inc.
This is both good and bad. I know this was a very hard thing for our organization to do. Back on June 12th, a letter was sent to the National organization with the hope that it would open communication and that they would work to resolve some of our concerns. Nothing of the sort happened. From what I saw, the replies were rather contentious in nature. This made me sad, but it made me happy to know that we were making the right decision.

I, to be honest, was shocked at some of the language chosen for those letters. I almost wondered if they'd been read through before they'd been sent.

I am proud of the women I've served with. They are now on new ground--their own ground and they can do with the organization as they please. Way to go, ladies! Way to stand up for what you believe in.

  • A Girls' Night Out
I have a VERY dear friend who, from time to time, will call me up randomly and ask if I can run away that evening. Yesterday was that day. YAY! We went and got appetizers at Applebee's and sat and talked over all of the major events in our lives. I absolutely treasure my friendship with this woman. I don't know what I'd do without her. We laughed and cried and finally returned to our homes around 1:00am. 

I am better because I know her. I am grateful for friends like this. I often feel that they are somehow hand-chosen for me. I have, in most of the chapters of my life, had a confidante. I don't think this is by chance.

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...