Would you like to translate this into another language?

Friday, December 28, 2012

Why "Mormons?"

I just had the hugest a-ha moment.

I'm sitting here reading this morning, and I come across this verse:


image: rebeccahjamison.com
"And behold, I am called Mormon, being called after the land of Mormon, the land in which Alma did establish the church among the people, yea, the first church which was established among them after their transgression" (3 Nephi 5:12).


So, no biggie, right? So what? I mean, seriously, how many times have my eyes gone over these words, and eh, okay, whatever. That's nice.

However, this verse led my mind to something earlier in the Book of Mormon. This verse:


image: scripturenews.com
"And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever" (Mosiah 18:30).


image: distilled.net
I have often wondered how we, as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, were dubbed as "Mormons." I always thought it was because of the Book of Mormon, and I always thought the Book of Mormon was called the Book of Mormon because the prophet Mormon abridged the Nephite records, and so this was to honor him.

Today, I have decided something else....Maybe this book is not so much named after the man Mormon, but after the land Mormon where so many came to the truth and committed to follow the Savior. That makes so much more sense. When we call ourselves "Mormons" it's not so much that we follow the man who abridged the plates, but we follow, like those who, in the land of Mormon, changed their lives.

This is the record that gives us the experience that those people had (see Mosiah 18 ).

Oh my goodness, this makes so much sense now. Why hadn't anybody ever told me this? I mean, when you look at Mosiah 18:30 (above), look at how many times it says "Mormon" in that verse alone. Is there any chance that that message was trying to beat itself into my head the many times I've read it, and I just didn't get it? And, why in the world, would they tell me why Mormon was named Mormon in the verse I read today? Well, I guess now I know.

That's pretty darned awesome!

Here....want a copy?
It is now clear to me that the Book of Mormon is the handbook to making commitments to God--to changing a life. Just like the people did in the place of Mormon, in the waters of Mormon.

Now, I get it. Oh, how I love this book!

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Wow, I loved this post. Your thoughts do give a different perspective.
I too love The Book of Mormon.
Thanks for your insight today.
Blessings and hug!

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...