Would you like to translate this into another language?

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

#1's Weekly Email: Week #69

This was #1's email from back on Oct. 12th. Her reaction here on the Jeepney brings back a lot of memories for me…..I remember seeing people who were clearly not Japanese on my mission. It was a rare occurrence, but it was so strange when I realized that I wasn't quite sure how to respond to them. 


I have no ideas for a subject heading. The only thing I can think to say is that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true church on the face of the Earth. No ifs, ands or buts.

So this week was a good one. Lots of funny things happened. And lots of things were learned. 

Monday: P-Day! Went to Olongapo and got some money. We went shopping and Sister M and I got facials (I feel like such a girl but it was actually really nice). Then we got home and went to an FHE at the P family's house. They're super nice and it was a lot of fun.

Tuesday: We had a zone meeting and that was a lot of fun. Then we went out and worked. We only got to work until 5 because we had to take Sister S to Subic and drop her off at the mission home. But we got to teach 2 lessons before that and got 4 new investigators. And then we went to Subic and on the way home we were all tired and I totally got a "Can I have yo numbah?" moment... Wait a sec, and I'll tell you…

We are on the jeepney and we just got into San Marcelino and the jeep stops to let some people on. And 3 BIG guys get on that look like literal African Americans. Both me and Sister M were shocked and we had no idea how to react to them. One sat down right next to me. So we just ride all the way to the bus stop and the two guys sitting across from us start talking about us. They read my nametag out loud but I didn't know how to react. We all get off at the bus stop and two of them walk away but one comes right up to me and says, in English, "Sister Hess, can I have your number?" 

Ack! hahaha that was a funny one. I politely told him, in Tagalog, that I couldn't because I was a missionary. And he smoothly covered with ,"Oh well I just wanted to invite you to our basketball game on Thursday." I was a bit impressed with the guy. He totally did all of it by himself seeing as his "wingmen" ditched him. He walked away after finding out that we couldn't go to his basketball game on Thursday because it was in Iba but we still waved at him when we walked away. We walked home chuckling a bit and all amazed that he had done that. Filipinos are very courageous people, that's for sure. Oh and btw, they were probably all half African American and half Filipino. 

After that funny thing happened, we went and taught one more lesson to our next-door neighbors. They're very nice and actually know a lot about Mormons. They seem to be pretty interested actually. 

Wednesday: We were in a threesome and it was actually a really fun day. We got in a bunch of lessons with 2 new investigators. And we got to go teach Sister D's recent converts. They're super awesome. And Sister S didn't come home that night.

Thursday: We had weekly planning and about halfway through, Sister S finally came home and then we were all happy again :) Finished weekly planning and then went out to work. We got in some more lessons, of course. And walked a lot, of course again. 

Friday: Went out to work in the morning. Got in 3 lessons (that's a miracle) and 4 new investigators (a miracle again). Then we had MCM, which is a meeting with our Branch Mission Leader. Brother R is our BML and he is awesome. He's very good at his calling. And after MCM, he worked with us and we got to find some more new investigators. By the end of the day, we had 5. Booyah. 

Saturday: GENERAL CONFERENCE! Finally. I love this weekend. Best out of the whole year. And I learned a whole bunch and the Spirit was really strong. So yeah. After it, we went out to work and got in two appointments. Tried to encourage the S family to come to Conference the next day. 

Sunday: Both Nanay and Tatay S came :) YES! I love when people do what we tell them they should do. Makes me feel like they trust me. And conference was great again. Made me really happy and more excited to share the gospel. 

So this week was great and I liked it a lot. There's never a dull day in the life of a missionary. Thank goodness or I might go crazy. 

The church is true. It's the only true church because it has a living Prophet and Jesus Christ is it's head. Also we're the only church with the WHOLE TRUTH. Try to beat that. Oh, that's right, you can't :) I know this is the true church. 

Mahal ko kayong lahat. Maraming salamat po sa lahat na gingawa nyo para samin. Ingat kayo palagi!
Love always,
Sister Hess 

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...