Would you like to translate this into another language?

Sunday, July 6, 2014

#1's Weekly Email: Week #51

One year ago I was in the MTC, eating tons of watermelon sour patch kids and wondering how on earth I was ever going to learn this language...


And now, a year later, I'm in the Philippines and I have a hard time speaking English to people... Who'da thunk... 
So this week was a very very very good one :) There were lots of blessings and lots of cool experiences. 

Monday:We got to play games! We didn't have an FHE but we taught the little kids that are gonna get baptized on July 19th and what better way to end the night than to play a quick game of "Kuwawa ang Pusa"?! It was sooooo funny. They loved it so much. We also taught P A, their uncle. He's gonna get baptized on the 19th too. They're all super awesome. 

Tuesday: Tuesday was district meeting and goal setting so we headed out to Olongapo. Let me tell you, foreigner Elders that have to drive in the Philippines are TERRIFYING. I'm gonna have trauma when I go home... But we got there alive. That's what matters right?

After district meeting we went to McDonald's and then headed home. We went out and work and were kind of punted but that's ok. We taught to Nanay A and to Sister N and to Brother F. It was a good day. 

Wednesday:Wednesday was packed with appointments. We basically forced our way into the house of one of H's friends. That was super funny. He's 20 years old. He was willing to listen and his mom listened too. That was funny because his mom kept saying how she wanted him to change and to get better. Then I asked her how she would feel if she changed too because of our message... Her eyes kind of bugged out of her head for a second and she was like "I can change too?!" I think sometimes we forget that we need to constantly be changing. No one's perfect. Her response made me chuckle. Of course you can change. And we can help you :) That was my favorite appointment this week. 

Thursday:Weekly planning. Woohoo! The only problem with weekly planning is that we're sitting there planning and we can hear the rain just pouring outside and I'm sitting there thinking "oh poop. I'm gonna get soaked..." But out we go anyways. No choice. The life of a missionary is hard but it's also a lot of fun. We went and taught P A again. He's really been improving and changing. He's not super quiet anymore when we come over and talk to him. He's opening up. His problem is that he's overwhelming himself with all the commandments that Heavenly Father has given us. There's a reason why Heavenly Father gives us knowledge a little bit at a time. If you've seen the Indiana Jones alien movie, you understand what happens when we get too much knowledge at one time. Our brains explode. That's not a very pretty picture… 

Friday:Friday was really good too. Man, this was just a good week :) We got to go teach all the people in Sitio Bukid because it hadn't rained in a while so we only had to jump around a couple of puddles :) We taught S, Nanay M, H O, C, T, and all the little kids again. Good day. We got in 8 appointments. First time in a long time that I haven't been punted. A missionary with a day full of appointments is happier than a fat kid with a giant chocolate cake :)

Saturday: We got to go to Olongapo for a giant baptism. It was super awesome. So many people were baptized and they were all sooooo happy. We didn't get much work in but it was worth it to see all those people "go swimming" :) 

Sunday: We got 4 investigators at church. H went and got J (YES!) and then we brought Je and Ju and P A. I love the people in this area and I love this area so much. After church we went over to the mission home for lunch and got to say goodbye to President and Sister Q and say Welcome to President and Sister D. Before he left, President Q gave us a Father's Blessing. I'm gonna miss him so much. He was a great mission president and Sister Q was great too. But I'm also excited to work with President and Sister D. I think they're great and they're gonna do a really good job. 

Yup. So that was my great week. The Church is true. I know for a fact that THIS is the ONLY true church here on the face of the earth. I am so blessed to be a member of this church and to be a missionary here in the Philippines. I love this mission so much. I know that the Gospel is God's plan for us and the way for us to get back to Him. 

Thank you for all of your love and support. Mahal ko kayo lahat!
Ingat kayo palagi!
-Sister Hess

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...