Would you like to translate this into another language?

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Gratitude Brings Happiness--or So They Say

I ran across this video today:



So, falling in line with what Mr. Anchor shares here, I would like to offer my three gratitudes for today….


**ONE**


I never really knew what Mission Presidents and their wives did before #1's mission. I mean, I knew what I saw of my Mission Presidents and their wives, but really I only caught a glimpse of them from time to time when there was a Zone or Sisters Conference. My last area was the area that contained the mission home. It was about the time our new Mission President arrived to the mission. Ironically, #1 has just been transferred to the, guess where….Yes, the mission home area, and guess what….Yes, the new Mission President is just about to arrive.

I must make it public here that I am DEEPLY grateful to #1's Mission President and his wife. They have served for the past three years. They have sacrificed and missed out on things in their own children's lives to bless the lives of a bunch of strangers' kids--one of those being my own.

They have relocated missionaries to better, safer apartments. They welcomed a whole bunch of new missionaries every six weeks or so and helped them acclimate to their new surroundings and mission life. They have said good-bye to missionaries as they've ended their service and returned home. They took in missionaries from the typhoon-stricken Tacloban Mission--found them housing and companions and saw to many of their basic needs which were left behind. They then saw them return to their former mission once it reopened. They have supplied temporal and spiritual support for hundreds of young people.

I feel that I owe these people so much. My gratitude just isn't nearly enough. It will be sad to see them go. President and Sister Querido, the Hess family is truly thankful to you and appreciates your tireless sacrifice and prayers for our daughter.


**TWO**


I have been desperately lacking in motivation lately. I have shared this before, but the whole brushing teeth while eating Oreos thing is just so MY LIFE! UGH! I clean my house, and within five minutes, it's a mess. I remind. I nag. I do everything but….No, I do…I holler. I just want a clean, orderly house. I know this doesn't sound like gratitude, but wait….

I've been hearing a lot lately, just by chance (yah, right) about people who couldn't handle life and decided to pray. Funny thing is that I tried it this morning. Whenever something seemed like too much, I'd get on my knees.

It wasn't until AFTER I tried this that I ran across two things that solidified my need to do this. First, there was a video about addiction recovery about a young man who had terrible trouble with drugs. It talked about his struggle and his way back--prayer was VITAL. It was his turning point. I'll have to see if I can find the video to share here.

Second was this:


I didn't go from zero motivation to 60 in 3 seconds or less, but I was a bit more motivated than I've been in the most recent past--I got most of my bedroom closet cleaned out today and one bag ready to donate. I figure that requires some amount of motivation. I also prayed more than usual.

I am grateful for prayer. I'm glad to know that there's a greater power that I can tap into when I need it. I plan on tapping in much more often than usual in the coming days.


**THREE**

I am grateful that kids grow up. I walked through Target yesterday and walked past the little tiny baby clothes. For just one moment, I missed my little babies, but not enough to want one. I'm also not wishing away their childhood--I will miss these phases too when they've grown up.

Today, though, we went to the dollar movies and watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. This is the first year in a long time when I've been able to sit through an entire movie without my children dancing in the aisles. It gave me great hope that maybe someday ]they will grow to the point where I will have the clean house that I so desire. Maybe, soon enough, I'll be ready to stop eating Oreos. I am grateful for that little glimmer of hope.

No comments:

Like it? Share it....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...